Arts Centre Melbourne is a statutory authority of the Creative Industries portfolio which is administered by Creative Victoria, a division of the Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources. The Trustees are appointed by the Governor in Council on recommendation of the Minister for Creative Industries. The Trust’s core purpose is to enrich the lives of Victorians – culturally, educationally, socially and economically.
This purpose drives our overarching Strategic Goal to enhance the creativity of Melbourne. The Trust and Arts Centre Melbourne team has worked together this year to define our Purpose – to Create, Connect and Enrich. We believe that what we do makes a difference by:
- Making Melbourne more creative and vibrant;
- Making the arts more welcoming and accessible;
- Presenting works of local, national and international significance to engage, inspire and challenge our audiences;
- Being the Melbourne home for Australia’s leading performing arts companies;
- Bringing families and communities together across generations and cultural divides;
- Inspiring curious minds of all ages through innovative and contemporary arts practice;
- Preserving the legacy and building Australia’s Performing Arts Collection;
- Leveraging our unique position in the Industry, providing leadership within the creative and cultural sector.
Our Commitment is to Earn the Encore in everything we do, working as an ensemble to be on show every day. Building on Victoria’s original vision for Arts Centre Melbourne, we shall:
- Be visionary and pioneering;
- Build vitality and relevance in the arts for the next generation;
- Demonstrate leadership across the creative and cultural sector;
- Turn performances into events, and events into memorable stories;
- Be ‘curtain up’; always performance-ready. Our Priorities are the five most important things we are focussed on to ensure we Earn the Encore in everything we do.
Our priorities are:
1. The Performing Arts
We champion the development and promotion of the performing arts, engaging with our supporters to realise our shared vision.
2. Audience Focussed
We welcome the community and foster deep connections to the performing arts.
Treasuring the past and creating new stories.
Working together as one team, celebrating creativity, caring for each other and encouraging lifelong learning.
5. Business Excellence
Striving for the highest standards.