Our Vision Arts Centre Melbourne is a statutory authority of the Arts portfolio which is administered by Arts Victoria, a division of the Department of Premier and Cabinet.
Arts Centre Melbourne is a statutory authority of the Arts portfolio which is administered by Arts Victoria, a division of the Department of Premier and Cabinet. The Trustees are appointed by the Governor in council on recommendation of the Minister for the Arts.
The Trust's vision for Arts Centre Melbourne is simple - it is to be recognised as one of the world's great performing arts centres. Achieving this vision will mean that we will be:
- Actively engaging people in exceptional performing arts experiences
- The venue of choice for the world's best performers, performance companies and producers
- An integral part of the arts across Victoria, with deep connections and high levels of engagement
- An innovator, known for ground breaking programming and presentations
- Accessible to visitors of all ages and backgrounds
- Financially strong and stable.
- The Trust's core purpose is to enrich the lives of Victorians - culturally, educationally, socially and economically (Victorian Arts Centre Act 1979, s.5(2)).
5 Functions of the Trust
(1) The functions of the Trust are—
(a) to control, manage, operate, promote, develop and maintain the Centre; and
(b) to present and produce theatrical performances, operas, plays, dramas, ballets and musical and other performances and entertainment of any kind at any place; and
(c) to promote the use of the theatres, concert hall and other places of assembly by suitable persons and bodies; and
(d) to provide leadership in the promotion and development of the performing arts; and
(e) to ensure the maintenance, conservation, development and promotion of the State collection of performing arts material; and
(f) to oversee the exhibition of performing arts material from the State collection and make any performing arts material from the State collection available on loan to persons or institutions; and
(fa) to establish, maintain, conserve, develop, promote and exhibit the public art collection; and
(fb) to make any object from the public art collection available for study or loan to persons or institutions, subject to any conditions that the Trust determines; and
(g) to carry on, whether within or outside Victoria, whether alone or in association with any other person or persons and whether or not in relation to the Centre, a business of providing ticketing, inventory management of admissions, marketing and related services; and
(h) to perform any other functions appropriate to the Centre as the Minister may approve; and
(i) to carry out any other function conferred on the Trust under this Act.
(2) In carrying out its functions, the Trust must endeavour to contribute to the enrichment of the cultural, educational, social and economic life of the people of Victoria.
Click here to download the Victorian Arts Centre Act