About these Conditions
The purpose of these Conditions of Entry is to ensure the safety and enjoyment of all entrants to Arts Centre Melbourne’s venues and premises (ACM), including customers, artists, crew, contractors and employees.
These Conditions of Entry (Conditions) apply to your entry and use of the Victorian Arts Centre Trust’s (Trust) venues and premises, including, without limitation, the Arts Centre Melbourne theatres building and external areas including the Forecourt and Lawn, Hamer Hall, the Channel, the Australian Music Vault, the Trust’s food and beverage venues, the Trust’s function and meeting rooms, the Trust’s function and meeting rooms, the Arts Centre Melbourne Car Park and Sidney Myer Music Bowl (Premises).
These Conditions of Entry are subject to change without notice and at the discretion of ACM.
In these Conditions, references to:
- a. we, us, or ACM means the Trust, and its employees, agents, officers and other representatives;
- b. you or your refers to you, or any person with you, including any dependents or children under your supervision.
You must comply with these Conditions and follow the reasonable directions of ACM team members, as well as any signage in relation to your entry and use of the Premises.
We reserve the right to deny entry to or remove any person from the Premises.
You are responsible for the security of your own belongings while on the Premises and you must not:
- a. leave any bags or personal items unattended;
- b. have in your possession and/or refuse to surrender to ACM team members any prohibited items including but not limited to:
Unless otherwise advised by ACM, the following restricted items are permitted to be bought into the Premises subject (if applicable) to security screening at the point of entry. However you may be required to cloak any restricted items at the sole discretion of ACM team members:
- Illicit substances
- Dangerous or inappropriate items (e.g. weapons, fireworks)
- Professional cameras, selfie sticks, GoPros and iPads (personal camera phones are permitted unless otherwise advised – restrictions may apply to taking photographs or making recordings)
- Bags over A4 size (20 litres and under)
- Glass and/or aluminium containers
- Liquids, aerosols or inhalers of any type including perfume, aerosol deodorants, bottled eliquid, eye drops and hand sanitisers (unless otherwise advised)
- Glow sticks, laser pointers, Selfie Sticks, Poles or “Totems”
- Promotional material of any kind
- Sunscreen bottles over 150ml
- Food or Alcohol (unless otherwise advised)
- Portable seating of any kind, tables, tents or sun shelters (unless otherwise advised)
- Umbrellas, facial masks (unless required by law or for health and safety reasons) or high vis workwear
- Empty water bottles
- Roll on deodorant
- Small bottles of sunscreen, smaller than 150ml – excluding pump style sunscreen
- Prescribed medications in blister packs – must be clearly labelled
- Non-prescribed medication in blister packs – must be clearly labelled
- E-cigarettes, cigarettes and lighters
- (c) refuse to undergo or to permit a physical search or a search of your belongings.
We reserve the right to:
- a. modify at any time the list of prohibited or restricted items set out above. If we do so, we will use reasonable efforts to advise you of this prior to your attendance at the Premises;
- b. inspect and search you and your belongings prior to entry to the Premises and/or while you are on the Premises;
- c. require any bag or personal items to be stored in our cloakroom, which may attract a fee;
- d. exclude all bags or personal items from the Premises when deemed appropriate; and
- e. deny entry or remove you from the Premises (without refund) if you refuse to comply with these Conditions.
You are responsible for behaving in a manner that does not interfere with the safety and enjoyment of others. Specifically, you must not:
- a. behave in a manner which causes or may cause property damage or that threatens or may threaten the safety of performers, customers or any other persons; or
- b. behave in a manner that unreasonably interferes with other audience members enjoyment of the Premises, including through the use of cameras, mobile phones, personal computers, paging devices or other electronic devices; or
- c. behave in a disorderly manner including as a result of intoxication or display unlawful or offensive behaviour; or
- d. behave in a rude or aggressive manner to any other person including Trust staff.
- a. At Arts Centre Melbourne, we aim to provide the best possible working environment for our team members and anyone who enters our spaces: one that is based on collaboration and respect.
- b. Whether you are a customer, visitor, employee, contractor, artist, technical crew, function attendee or volunteer, we expect you to contribute to an environment that upholds these standards.
- c. When you are at an Arts Centre Melbourne venue, if you experience harassment or feel unsafe, please report it as soon as possible to an Arts Centre Melbourne team member (identifiable from name badges). All reports of harassment, bullying and other inappropriate behaviour will be swiftly investigated in accordance with Arts Centre Melbourne’s policies and relevant legislation and acted upon as appropriate.
You must not:
- a. touch or interfere with the artwork or any other objects on display in exhibitions, displays or in the foyer of the Premises unless the item is clearly designated as an interactive element;
- b. smoke or use e-cigarettes indoors at the Premises or in any other area at the Premises which is designated non-smoking, or outside the designated smoking zone at the Sidney Myer Music Bowl;
- c. take photographs, audio, or video recording where this has been restricted;
- d. consume food or drink (including alcohol) purchased outside the Premises (except as expressly permitted at certain events at the Sidney Myer Music Bowl), unless otherwise indicated;
- e. purchase or consume alcohol at or on the Premises unless you are 18 years of age or older;
- f. bring animals onto the Premises, unless they are registered assistance animals;
- g. enter areas of the Premises not open to the public, unless authorised by the Trust; or
- h. bring bicycles, motorcycles, motorised/electric scooters or segways into the Premises without the express permission of the Trust.
Unless expressly specified to the contrary for a particular event or performance, children under the age of 15 must at all times be under the supervision of a responsible adult (18 years of age or older) when attending the Premises.
For children aged 15 years old or over, parental discretion should be exercised regarding whether they can attend the Premises, including performances, without supervision.
Children – Sidney Myer Music Bowl
For events or performances at the Sidney Myer Music Bowl, unless specified to the contrary, children under 18 years of age will only be permitted entry if they are in the company of a responsible adult. A responsible adult means a person who is 18 years or older and is:
- a. the child’s parent, step-parent, guardian, grandparent, or
- b. the child’s spouse who is over the age of 18 years, or
- c. a person who is acting in place of a parent and who could reasonably be expected to exercise responsible supervision of the child.
Additional requirements may also apply for particular events or performances. If so, these requirements will be communicated prior to ticket purchase.
Over 18 Events
Only adults who are 18 years of age or older and hold a valid form of ID will be permitted into events which are designated Over 18 Events. Patrons under the age of 18 will not be permitted into the venue.
Use of your image
You consent to and authorise us to film, record or photograph you (Recordings), and to reproduce Recordings in any audio, video, or photographic display or other transmission, exhibition, publication or reproduction in any medium or context for any purpose without further authorisation by, or compensation or attribution to you. All Recordings are our sole property and you release us from liability arising on account of such usage.
Security cameras operate on the Premises and you acknowledge that you may be filmed when attending the Premises.
Admission to events – general
You must have a valid ticket or entry pass to attend an event or performance and appropriate evidence of entitlement when purchasing a ticket or attending an event or performance with a concession.
Once an event or performance has commenced, at ACM’s discretion, you may only be admitted or re-admitted to the Venue during a suitable break in the event/performance and/or to a different seating location. For some events, admittance or re-admittance may not be possible. Further information is contained in our Terms and Conditions of Purchase.
To assist with your safety, entry and exit points will be clearly signed and our team will be on hand to answer queries and to assist with movement throughout the Premises.
Admission to events – Sidney Myer Music Bowl
For events at the Sidney Myer Music Bowl, you may be required to stand to see the event/performance. Unless otherwise communicated in relation to a particular event or performance, no pass outs will be permitted.
COVID-19 Special Terms
The Trust has adopted special Terms and Conditions in light of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
For ticketed events these Terms and Conditions also form part of our Terms and Conditions of Purchase: artscentremelbourne.com.au/terms-and-conditions-of-purchase
When you must stay at home
You must stay at home and must not attend the Premises if you:
- a. are required to self-isolate or quarantine due to:
- being a confirmed case of COVID-19
- b. have COVID-19 symptoms, or
- c. have been tested for COVID-19 and are awaiting test results.
The symptoms of COVID-19 include: fever, chills or sweats, cough, sore throat, shortness of breath, runny nose or loss of sense of smell.
COVID safety when you attend our Premises
When you attend our Premises, you must comply with any COVID-19 safety protocols or requirements notified to you by the Trust (including by way of signage at the Premises or by way of line markings on the floor). This includes complying with:
- a. Hand hygiene requirements;
- b. Appropriate cough and sneeze etiquette;
- c. Physical distancing requirements (including physical spacing requirements while queuing); and
- d. Person limits for particular spaces and areas, or Person density requirements.
Depending on the public health restrictions applicable at the time of your visit, requirements may also include:
- e. temperature checking; and
- f. wearing a properly fitted mask, unless eating/drinking or as otherwise advised, or unless you have an exemption.
Entry may be refused or you may be required to leave
You may be refused entry or required to leave the Premises if you:
- a. refuse to comply with any COVID-19 safety protocols or requirements notified to you by the Trust;
- b. refuse to comply with any reasonable health and safety directions given by Trust representatives;
- c. are exhibiting symptoms of COVID-19, as notified to or as assessed by Trust representatives. These include: fever, chills or sweats, cough, sore throat, shortness of breath, runny nose or loss of sense of smell;
- d. have been tested for COVID-19 and are awaiting test results; or
- e. are required under public health directions to be in isolation or quarantine or if experiencing any of the symptoms of COVID-19.
In these circumstances, Tickets will not be exchanged or refunded unless required by law (including the Australian Consumer Law).
You enter the Premises at your own risk. To the maximum extent permitted by law, the Trust will not be responsible for any loss, damage, harm or injury arising from your entry to the Premises.
Whilst the Trust has implemented all legally required and recommended control measures in relation to the COVID-19 pandemic, all entrants to our Premises acknowledge and accept that there currently remains an unquantifiable risk of transmission of COVID-19. All persons are assumed to have assessed this risk of transmission, including through consideration of their own health condition, in making the decision to attend the Premises.
These Conditions prevail in the event of inconsistency with any specific conditions which may apply to:
- a. your use of the ACM Car Park, in which case the conditions will be clearly stated at the Car Park Entry Point and online; or
- b. certain events, in which case the conditions will be clearly stated on the event’s webpage.
We collect, use and disclose personal information in accordance with our Privacy Statement, which is available at artscentremelbourne.com.au/privacy-policy.
Complaints and Feedback
Consumers are encouraged to provide feedback on the services provided by the Trust. For information on how to provide feedback to the Trust visit artscentremelbourne.com.au.
Our team are committed to providing you with the best experience possible. Please be kind and respectful to our team and to those around you. We appreciate your compliance and understanding to ensure your welfare and safety. Further information about our full Commitment to Your Safety and Wellbeing is available on our website.